The Jean Stewart Walk is a memorial two day hike that is dedicated to its name sake. This extraordinary woman was a founding member of Renfrew and West of Scotland DA and although of retirement age she was still backpacking and rough camping until her sudden and unexpected death in January 1976. She held every position on the committee, latterly Chairman, and was identified with the Scottish Region since its inception, being its most efficient Secretary to the day of her death. Jean had a great enthusiasm for the Youth and younger campers, she would encourage them to get the best out of outdoor life, climbing, hiking, tramping, ski-ing, canoeing, youth hosteling etc. Jean herself could relate to the Youths had she had first hand experience with all these activities and was a World traveller, having camped in Ethiopia and been on Safari to Russia.
After Jean Stewarts' untimely death, the Youth Leaders met to decide on how the Trophy should be awarded. They agreed that the event should be comprehensive and tough. It was to be a coveted award to which only the best of the youth could aspire.
In 1977 and 1978 The Jean Stewart Memorial Trophy Competition was held at Roberton and the winner was the best camper.
In 1980 the Competition was organised by Dave Batty at Ardgarten, which was orienteering.
In 1981 it was decided that as Jean Stewart was a backpacker and a walker that the Youth would complete 5 x 20 mile hikes in the different DA areas.
• 1981 The first Walk was Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven - Grampian DA - 6 Youth and 2 Leaders completed
• 1982 was Muirkirk to Wanlockhead - Renfrew DA - 11 Youth and 4 Leaders completed
• 1983 was Moffat to St Mary's Loch - Edinburgh & East of Scotland DA - 16 Youth and 4 Leaders completed
• 1984 was a Circular walk and Glen Clova - Perth & Angus DA - 17 Youth and 4 Leaders
• 1985 was a Circular walk at Ardgarten - Glasgow DA - 13 Youth and 3 Leaders
A pennon is given to all the Youth who complete the walk and the Jean Stewart Memorial Trophy is awarded to those Youth that have completed all five walks.